Friday, August 12, 2016

Venturing Into College Life

As I begin my journey into my freshman year of college, I find myself faced with choices. Do I gorge myself on junk food or try and eat food that won't make me gain the dreaded "Freshman 15?' Do I stay in my dorm guarded from the outside world or do I venture out to new places and see what's out there for me in Milledgeville? Do I head to the gym? (I know, that's a weird thought coming from me). Do I put myself out there and try to shed the shy girl or do I hide behind my insecurities? All of these choices to make and each decision impacts another part of my day. I heard that college is about finding yourself. That it's about putting yourself out there to find your place in the world. That it's one of the greatest times in your life. I think it's about deciding on who you want to be. The part of you that you want the world to see. The part of you that you want to show off. The real, honest you.

My first day at GCSU scared the hell out of me. I was panicking, and when I panic I start to get aggressive. Now with the second day almost over, I find myself not panicking at all. I find myself opening up. I find myself growing as a person. Being away from all that I know, has already made me open up more. I'm no longer the timid girl I was before I got here. When I started high school, it took me years to open up and find myself. Now that I've started college, I opened up on the second day. It didn't take years this time. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm still very wary of new things, but at least I'm opening up a bit more and not being afraid to stand out. 

Being unique is something I cherish. Although sometimes I can be afraid to stand out because of my massive insecurity issues, I still love to be a unique weirdo. I like to have different interests and to find friends who aren't necessarily the "cool kids." I like to show off to the world that the misunderstood, the timid, and the different are people too. To show that we are just as "cool" as the rest of the world. 

While I spend my college life here at GCSU, I hope to accomplish great things as well as put myself out there. I hope to become unafraid to be unique. I hope to find myself in the world that is life away from home. I hope to become me.

No comments:

Post a Comment