Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A Thing Called Marching Band

As many marching bands have started their band camps recently, I started thinking to myself. This is the first year in five years that I will not be headed off to band camp. No more sweat, knee brace tan lines, and sunburns. No more goofing off with my best friends all while accomplishing great things. No more pouring heart and soul into the music and marching.



I began my marching band journey in South Carolina with the Pickens High School Marching Band. I was given the opportunity to march as an eighth grader in a high school band. My closest friends were given the same opportunity as I was and we grew closer all while making many more friends. Right after my first season of marching band came to a close, my family moved to Georgia. After we moved I thought I would never want to continue marching band because I would miss my friends too much. One good friend that I made after moving convinced me otherwise and I ended up continuing for all of high school at Walnut Grove. I made many friends and these are people who I will love for life.

During both my junior and senior years of high school, I took on leadership positions in the band. I was a section leader and it really opened me up to be both a stronger musician and a better person. It takes a lot of work to be a leader, but I was glad to have had the opportunity to lead and help others on their marching band journeys.

My junior year was probably my favorite for marching. In my opinion, the saxophone section was at its strongest that year and I am glad I could be a part of it. Sure it was only three of us, but we are all great friends and we created a great sound together. That year I will remember always.
Junior Year: Alex(L), Ryan(R), and I.

Now, I am headed off to college soon and will not be marching in a marching band. I never realized how much of an impact it made on my life, but I am glad to have gotten the chance to participate. All of my friends who graduated alongside me can probably agree. I will miss all of them dearly as we go our separate ways to pursue our varying dreams.
Senior Year: We seniors (Alex, Angela, Josh, Harley, Tori, Miranda & I) being our goofy selves.  

Senior Year: Angela(L), Harley(R), and I.

Marching band has been a large part of my life for five years. I found myself in marching band and to be quite honest, I feel like a part of me has been ripped away. My life will never be the same again. I mean that in the sense that I know more about myself than I did before I started marching band. I learned how to open myself up to people and made great friends. I will forever miss marching band and the friendships I have made, but I will forever be a Marching Warrior.

I wish all of my friends who are still marching the best of luck at their future competitions and performances. To those of you seniors, enjoy senior year because it will end faster than you realize. Make the most of it, and may you all have a great season.

1 comment:

  1. I too cherish marching band memories. Long gone are my days in the Clemson Tiger Band. But, friendships formed there are still alive and strong. I am so happy that you had this experience and that it impacted you in such a positive way. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete